Thursday, August 02, 2007

Your vote: Favorite local discovery?

What’s your favorite local discovery since moving here?

I asked that question to a group of 16 newcomers who visited the newsroom recently for a newcomer forum. I hold these discussion groups periodically; if you’re a transplant who’s lived here less than two years and you’re interested in participating in a future group, e-mail me and I’ll keep your name on the list.

I was surprised at the popularity of one of the answers: Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. I’ve been aware of this beautiful spot in Belmont, just over the Gaston/Mecklenburg county line, since it rose to prominence in the late 1990s. But, up until now I haven’t given it a lot of love in my newcomer suggestions.

I visited this week to film my newcomer report with Bobby Sisk of WCNC. You can see it Monday on the 5 a.m. or 11 a.m. newscasts, and see my column about it in this Monday’s paper (and links to both will be at www.charlotte.com/living, of course). I agreed with the newcomers: It’s a must-see.

For other recent reports, I’ve visited local attractions including the Carolina Raptor Center, Historic Brattonsville, Carolinas Aviation Museum, Reed Gold Mine and the U.S. National Whitewater Center. I’d also include those on the list of spots newcomers should check out.

Now I’d like to hear your suggestions – please post here or e-mail me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'll have to snooze through your suggestions. Try any parks in the Parks and Rec System--great trails, horseback riding, classes--all kinds of interesting stuff for all ages. Local Galleries are free and you can't beat a Green's hot dog.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to go to Chimney Rock State park and walk the trails;

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a picnic on the lawn of the MINT MUSEUM and then I go in a watch QUEENS CHARLOTTES eyes move and watch People.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The McGill Rose Garden on Davidson Street is a little-known, but very charming, attraction convenient to uptown tourists.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home